Picture yourself on a splendid Mozambique yacht charter, ready to fish for days deep in the heart of the breath-taking Quirimbas Archipelago. Time to experience world class fishing along with some of the best island hopping under sail in one of the most sought-after destinations in the world.
CATCH AND RELEASE GAME FISH FROM IBO ISLAND
Mozambique Yacht Safaris introduces you to huge game fish on a catch-and-release basis. Bring huge exhilaration back into your life! If you are seeking a Mozambique holiday with a difference, join us to explore the Quirimbas, a diverse, unexplored and spectacular yacht charter destination.
Team up with Ibo Island and you are guaranteed to experience an array of beauty, culture and history on this tropical island paradise. Stay a few nights at the award-winning Ibo Island Lodge before heading to the famous Banco St Lazarus as the highlight of your fishing charter.
ST LAZARUS BANK
Most fishermen place St Lazarus Bank at the top of their bucket list. This top end fishing destination in the Mozambique Quirimbas Archipelago lies 8 hours from Ibo Island by luxury yacht. Discover extraordinary drop-offs of up to 2 400 meters, part of an enormous atoll that stretches 30 km by 20 km in size. This is surely excellent big game and salt water fly-fishing territory!
Be sure to head for the many reefs, sandbanks, gullies, inter-tidal zones and deep drop-offs in this region where fishermen hunt Dorado, Barracuda, Sail Fish, Marlin, Yellow Fink, King Fish and Dog-tooth Tuna. There are opportunities for shallow and deep fishing.
QUILALEA ISLAND, MARINE SANCTUARY
Sailing further afield, explore the ocean waters off Quilalea Island – spectacular drop-offs and currents, ideal for some of the best big game, bill and saltwater fishing in Mozambique, if not Africa. The island lies within the well-known Marine Sanctuary where a limited amount of shore-based fishing is allowed. This is monitored and restricted to a catch and release basis.
Fishing in the Quirimba’s is an absolute delight for keen anglers. Big game anglers and fly-fishermen are attracted to the abundance and variety of species already seen and hooked in this area. Techniques such as trolling and fly have yielded much success with a selection of species such as Kingfish, Yellowfin Tuna, Queen Mackerel, Queen fish, Dorado and Barracuda. Regular Sailfish sightings off the eastern side of the island with catches way over 20kg have often been recorded.
SOME SUCCESSFUL FISHING SPOTS TO HEAD FOR INCLUDE:
- Ponta Diabo – the start of the Quirimbas Archipelago where fishermen ambush big game fish at a drop-off of 120 metres
- Tari River – a fishing site were river meets the sea and where game fish lie in wait for smaller fish – only 45 minutes from Pemba Beach Hotel by boat
- Sailfish Bowl – in the mouth of Pemba Bay this is a huge underwater continental shelf where Sailfish like to swim
- One Mile-One Mile – several reefs one mile offshore and one mile south of the lighthouse on Ponta Muanhane. It teems with King Mackerel and Yellow fin Tuna
- Matemo Island – fish for Kingfish, Great Barracuda, Yellow fin Tuna, Pompano, Job fish, Dorado and Wahoo
- Lurio and Mnemba Bay – best for Kingfish, Marlin and Dorado, January to June
- Ibo Island – the channel between Ibo and Matemo Islands has a 1,4km drop-off therefore is a good Dogtooth Tuna spot.
Book your fishing holiday in the Ilhas Quirimbas during fishing season, from September to April. October to December is high season.